Often living in Turkey you want a little slice of food from home, so over the next few weeks I will share some of my favourite foods from home and how to make them. I have found The Perfect Pizza Recipe to share with you..
First up is an easy to make Pizza (much cheaper than dominoes) and tastes just as good!
Ingredients for the Pizza Dough
5 Cups Flour
1 tablespoon Sugar (you can add less)
2 teaspoons salt (you can add less)
1 Packet Instant Yeast
1 table spoon olive oil
1 ¾ Cups Water (warm)
Ingredients for the Pizza Sauce
½ cup peeled and chopped tomatoes
½ Cup tomato paste
½ Cup red pepper paste (if you don’t have this add a whole cup tomato paste)
1 or two cloves rushed Garlic
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Teaspoon Sweet Red Pepper Powder or a pinch of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon Tomato Ketchup (optional)
Instructions for the Pizza Dough
- If using fresh yeast small bowl or glass, mix the water, sugar, yeast
- If using instant follow instructions on packet or add to warm water, with some sugar and mix together.
- Mix flour, oil, and salt in a bowl
- Add your yeast to the flour mix
- And then using your hands bring the yeast and flour together to form a dough this make take a little time and you may need to add extra water. If your dough is too soft add in some extra flour.
- Leave to rest for 30 min to and hour
- After the dough has rested, sprinkle some flour on a clean surface and need the dough for a few minutes. Then cut into sections depending on how deep or thin you want your pizza and size. I made one large thick and one small deep crust from this dough but could easily make 3 or 4 think small thin crust pizzas.
Instructions for the Pizza Sauce
- Blend tomatoes and tomato & pepper paste in a blender or food processor (for about 30 seconds).
- Add tomato sauce you mixed to a pan and cook on medium heat until the sauce begins to bubble reduce to a low heat. Add in your herbs and seasoning along with the Tomato Ketchup let simmer for 15 minutes. Stir the sauce occasionally while it is simmering.
- Remove from heat and cool
Heat your oven to 200 °C
Now Create Your Perfect Homemade Pizza
Take your dough and shape into pizza shapes and place on a cooking tin or pizza dish. Here in Turkey I used the classic round tins used for borek and baklava.
Spread your sauce thinly around your pizza base spreading to the edge but leave a 1cm crust edge.
Spread your grated cheese, I used normal Turkish cheddar cheese grated or if you have it use mozzarella and then you add your preferred toppings. For mine I used boiled chicken mixed with fajita mix brought from the UK.
I like my Pizza extra cheese so sprinkled some more cheese on top of my toppings!
Place in oven and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, keep an eye on the pizza to make sure it doesn’t burn and that your dough is rising nicely.
Serve with salad if your feeling healthy or chips if your living dangerously 🙂
© 2013 – 2015, Kerry Arslan. All rights reserved.