We discovered that there was 5 main objectives that needed to be met for this visa ( myself being referred to as the Sponsor of the Application and Burak being the Applicant) and they were :
1) English language requirement for the Applicant, which can either consist of possessing an English language based degree, or passing a IELTS A1 Life skills English test.
2) suitable accommodation provided by the sponsor, which is certified as ‘adequate‘ by a government approved health and safety company who undertake property inspection reports for visa applications
3) a clean criminal record held by the the applicant ( if you have a criminal record this doesn’t mean you are automatically ruled out, it depends on the crime but will place your application under a lot more scrutiny – be warned as they really are looking for reasons to refuse applications)
4) sponsor and applicant must prove they are in a genuine, meaningful and legitimate marriage.
5) last but definitely not least, the most discriminatory requirement of all.. The financial requirement!!!
The sponsor has to be in secure employment earning over £18,600 per year!!!
The figure goes up if you are sponsoring a child in addition ( not sure exactly how much but I think it’s about £2,200 extra per child) If the child holds a British Passport they are exempt. Only for example if the child was Turkish without British Citizenship. If you child has dual nationality you only need to earn £18,600.
Myself and burak could see that we met the basic criteria, he had a clean record, we had a genuine relationship and I was extremely lucky that I am a homeowner and my employment who I have been with 5 years takes me over the financial requirement ( not by much mind, my salary is £22,000 as a probation officer) so we thought right let’s go for it!! Let’s give it a shot!!
© 2016, Kerry Arslan. All rights reserved.