I wondered what I would miss the most from Turkey on our trip to Scotland this summer or if I would miss anything or even Turkey. I am glad to say I missed Turkey and our home. Here are my top 6 things I missed while in the UK
1. Cheap, regular and efficient Public Transport. We used the car a lot more in the UK as it was cheaper to travel by car than by train or bus to wherever we were travelling to. Also we found if we wanted a bus we always had to wait 20 minutes and always took forever to get to its destination. The Dolmus and Bus network is certainly a lot cheaper and quicker and you very rarely need to wait.
2. Cheap fresh produce. Say what you like about having great variety and out of season produce in the UK. I vote for in season fresh tasty and good value produce any day. 1 Kilo of tomatoes in Turkey would only get you about 1 ½ tomatoes in the UK and they have no flavour. I much prefer or weekly market where the produce is fresh and in season at a good cost.
3. Tea Houses, Street Food and Lokantas. Yes its cheap again good value and tasty! It is very difficult to eat cheaply in the UK especially as a family and you always feel they are in a hurry to serve you and get you out. Its all about the turnover and the food mostly is edible but not tasty. In Turkey you can get cheap tasty street food or go into a local lokanta and get a full meal for a ¼ of the price in the UK. You are never rushed and you are always welcome. I also missed the Tea Houses sitting relaxing and watching the world go by for a few pennies.
4. Child Friendly Everywhere. I got so sick and tired of going to restaurants or cafes and getting looks from other customers as if to say “Oh No Not a Baby!” Our little guy is great out and chatters away but sometimes he can get a bit loud at times but he is mostly good. However we felt we had some infection not a child and we weren’t eating in the high establishments just local cafes and restaurants. Where as in Turkey no one ever bothers and 9 times out of 10 the child will always be fussed over by the waiters and owners.
5. Taking your Shoes off at the Door. It’s not something I missed but more of a habit I have formed a bit like putting your seatbelt on. I felt odd not taking my shoes off at the door and felt weird sitting in a house with my shoes on. Funny how habits are easily formed.
6. Half price or free entry to Museums and Historical places. My goodness they know how to charge. Being my husband’s first time in Scotland I wanted to show him the sights and places. I was astounded by the price to visit these places. How are kids meant to learn their history. In Turkey a citizen or resident can go free or half price into most Museums and Historical places all you need to get is the free Muze card great for families and kids.
Overall I found the UK expensive at every turn and it was hard to go anywhere on a budget. We bought a Scottish Heritage card to visit various places at £80 for two for the year it made it cheaper overall to visit the various sights. Food and transport being so costlyI feel sorry for families trying to have a day out on a budget, no wonder so many kids are sat in front of the telly and pcs families just can’t afford to go out.
We had a fantastic trip to Scotland and it was great to see so many of our family and friends again and look forward to our next trip home.
If you are living in Turkey or holiday here, what do you miss when you are back home??
© 2012 – 2015, Kerry Arslan. All rights reserved.