Living here in Turkey I often get asked this question by friends and family or see it asked on a forums.
Of course without a doubt you miss your family and friends and the security of knowing your surroundings and speaking the language. But these things also add to the excitement and the fun of living in a another country.
But it’s the little things you miss that sometimes you forget about or you suddenly think about and these are the things you just can’t get here in Turkey.
So here are my top 6 little things I miss
1. Drinking Water straight from the tap. In Scotland we are lucky that the water that comes out the tap is clean and lovely to drink straight from the tap. Here in Turkey though it says on the bill water is safe to drink from the tap, it tastes of chemicals and not very pleasant, buying in your water is just not the same.
2. Proper Sausages, I have yet to come across proper slice or links sausages here in Turkey and the Sausages you do get here are horrible processed sausages that have an odd red skin, they taste okish, but don’t come up to scratch to the sausages from our local butcher.
3. Fish and Chips and other takeaways, I love a takeaway at the weekend with a cheeky glass of wine or two, we do have takeaway here but we can only get pizza or Turkish food. Lovely as they are some nights I would love to have, Chinese or India or a lovely freshly battered fish and chips with a good bottle of beer. (yes I know in some areas of Turkey do have these restaurants but not in Adapazari!)
4. Cheese, now its an odd complaint, as I do love the cheese here, the white cheese’s and some of the lovely goats cheeses. But I just can’t seem to get my hands on a good block of cheddar cheese. There is Eski Cheese (old cheese) and it’s the closest I have found here and it is tasty but I do love it when my Mum brings me a block of proper cheddar!
5. Pastries, I have a sweet tooth no denying that fact and there are cakes and pastries here that make my mouth water, but there are times when I would love a danish for breakfast or crossiant and jam or a very sticky fudge donut.
6. And something that is not food related. I am big reader I love to read, I can get my fill of books on the internet and I can order books to be sent out. But I miss the local library free books to read and order and though I really like my ebook reader, nothing beats holding a real book and snuggling down for a good read.
Though I miss these little things, if I didn’t miss them it would mean when I return to the UK for a visit I wouldn’t have anything to indulge myself in, so I love and accept these little things I miss.
Tell me what are the little things you miss the most from home?
© 2011 – 2015, Kerry Arslan. All rights reserved.