Over the years I have really struggled to learn Turkish, I am dyslexic which is no excuse but my English is not that great either so learning a new language has always been scary for me.
Over the summer I was reading a book not connected to language learning but I read about a guy who started his own business after learning Spanish in 3 months.
He did something called Language Hacking, there are many methods on Language Hacking but I really like this guy he is straightforward and makes everything easy to understand. The main idea to language hacking is to forget about grammar and all the books and study. Because you can learn all you want but the main purpose of learning a language is to communicate and in order to communicate we need to speak.
You will learn the grammar but not a first as it just makes it easy for you never to start speak. Over the next few weeks I will cover some of the grammar points that I learn. Benny starts by learning every language by speaking that language from day one normally using a little phrase book and a lot of body language as well.
But by speaking the language straight from day one you create the “Need to Learn”. There is a huge difference between wanting to Learn and Needing to learn if you need to learn you will. If you just want to learn you will find all the excuses in the world why you can’t learn Turkish.
So how do you get started.
- If you are living here in Turkey I want you to make it your soul priority to Speak Turkish and only Turkish from this point forward. You can of course speak English to family members who are not Turkish or can’t speak Turkish, if you need to correspond in Emails, Facebook etc and if you need to speak for work
- If you are living outside of Turkey. You need to speak Turkish at every moment you do not require English, if your partner is Turkish make a point of only speaking Turkish to them. Speak to friends and chat online to those who speak English.
- Change your facebook or PC settings to Turkish, your phone settings if you can to Turkish.
- Give Up English TV, Music, Books anything that you do in your spare time that is in English stop. Find the alternative in Turkish, you can listen to music, watch tv/films and read books and magazines, if you are outside of Turkey you can find all of these online there are no excuses.
- Make Mistakes the more you make the better you will learn, don’t be afraid to make them. In fact Benny makes the point of making mistakes as it is the only way to learn. Make sure the people your speaking to know to correct you when you make a mistake and don’t be embarssed when you do.
I think you might be getting the jist you must surround yourself in as much Turkish language sources that you can and you must commit yourself 100% to learning and you must “NEED TO LEARN TURKISH” and there is no excuse about where you are living you can still learn Turkish!
So under this post in Turkish or English I want you to write 4 reasons why you “Need to Learn Turkish”
Join my group Learn Turkish Challenge and join others who have taken up the Challenge.
If you wish to find out more about Language Hacking or Purchase the course you can do here. Speak from Day 1
© 2014 – 2015, Kerry Arslan. All rights reserved.